Sunday 2 May 2010

Stages of Life

I've lived life for about 4 decades. Along the way, I think I've been through 4 stages i.e. childhood, teenage, adolescent & adult. Out of these 4, I found that childhood life was the happiest; the most trying was teenage; the most confusing was adolescent and the most boring...adult. Heh. Heh.

Why...when we were kids, what else were we thinking about except playing and having fun? Yeah...there were heart-throbs and puppy love...but they were just for fun. Studying? Yes, that mattered but there was no pressure then. Til now, if I looked back to the old photographs, all I could remember were the fun and laughter I had with my closest buddies. Oh, and we were 1Malaysia then. I had Malay, Chinese, Indians and Sikhs friends...

Teenage life? To me it was the most trying because I was searching for my identity then. Later on I created this imaginary friend whom I later called 'Zade' (who was actually my conscience) and I had this ambition to become a writer. A 'Sasterawan' to be exact coz I was idolised by the late Pak Sako, Pak Samad Said, the late Keris Mas & Usman Awang. However, when I was in Form Two (about 14 years of age) I developed myself to become a 'Tomboy'. Don't know how THAT happened! Ha ha...yes, that's who I was then. I hated my real name, hated the way girls giggle and hated the way they swayed when they walk. I've never kept my hair long anymore. And didn't actually like it when my father asked me to wear tudung, would prefer to wear pinafore. I was rebelious because of the strictness of my father. I was under pressure too, because I had to compete with my big bro for SRP and SPM results. And yes, there were boys in the picture ('cause I was a Tomboy, not a Penkid. So yes, there were boys in my teen life)...so there were crushes and heartbreaks. Ugh! No, those were not the best phase in my life. But still, those years were fun. Thank God, I managed to pull through and better still, my results were surprisingly OKAY.

Adolescent wasn't challenging but confusing...coz I was neither a teenager nor an adult then. Most importantly, I just started working. Based on the principles that I've developed since I was a teenager, I set myself a few objectives...which thank God, I have achieved even tho they took me 10 or so years (and why didn't I think of becoming a millionairess then ya? Else I could've become one today). And during these times most of the gruelling episodes occurred in my life. Maybe because of the confusion.

I think I started to become an adult when I got married and have kids of my own. You know, by then the focus was on them and everything else was about them. Responsibilities...I guess those were the things that made us adults.

I'll get into the details in my next update. Til then, live life to the fullest...and remember our promise!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you r a tomboy before...but a cute one

still remember the nite we kacau u balik mengaji and you shouted for your MAK!!!! ha ha ha

i'm proud of you sis...keep it up

RABI said...

Well said, my friend! yesterday evening, my wife and I went jogging at our usual spot in Kajang. We saw a bunch of kids, young ones, of different races playing together. It was a sight, indeed. We actually spoke abt it throughout our jog, and finally we came to conclusion that this friendship will soon come to an end when the kids go to school! Its true, as teachers ourselves, we see schools as places that work against unity! What a pity! How we wish to bring back the old days....