Tuesday 4 May 2010

My Life Story - The Roots

A wise old man once said that a person is like a big oak tree. Started as one small seed, it grew up to become big and strong; and provided shelter for a lot of other beings. The roots remain deep inside the ground while the branches and the leaves spread out majestically above. And the tree is indeed a very upright and strong one because of the roots.

What are the roots of a human being? This is what I can share, based on my experience and my observation. When I was a child, I lived with my parents and grandparents. All of them had their own role to play:

Abah (My Dad) : was the disciplinarian.
Mak (My Mom) : was the peacekeeper, the reporter and also the 'warden'.
Tok (My Grandpa) : was the 'Tok Guru'.
Wan (My Grandma) : was her old self...a grandma. Just loved her for that.

Both my parents were teachers. So it's natural that education was their utmost priority. When I was a kid, there were only two of us - my big bro and me. We must always ensure that we have all blue marks in our report cards. One red mark...we would be called to the chamber of the disciplanarian; explain ourselves and get the caning. (Caning then was a swipe on the palm with a wooden ruler). Next month must make sure the red mark turned blue. Or the palm would turn blue!

Mak was more flexible. She would always ensure that we did our homework but at the same time she wouldn't mind if we go out and play around (so long as we did the homework). I salute my mom for giving us the freedom to express ourselves as kids. Oh...but she was very strict with our 'adab'. Never to 'interframe' when the elders were talking and never walk in front of the elders; those were the definite no no. Once she pasted chillies to my mouth just because I asked my cousin how many times did she get pregnant!

Tok taught us to recite the Muqaddam and the Al-Quran. At times, we would also pray along with him. He would always urged us to take our bath before Maghrib. Oh...and since it was a wooden house, he would oftenly got angry when we ran because it'll be very noisy. Wan was just who she was...a loving grandma. I'd always remember her cooking.

My conclusion is, our roots should be made of these four essentials:

1. Love
2. ReligionFont size
3. Education
4. Discipline

Based on these four essentials, I'm trying to mould my kids exactly to how I was moulded before.

No comments: