Thursday 2 September 2010

It Ain't Easy

For the record: This posting is dedicated to all the Homemakers in the World.

September would be the 7th month of my feat in becoming a full-time housewife aka 'homemaker'. When someone asks "So how was it?" my answer would be "It ain't easy". But most people thought it is.


Being a homemaker is no easy feat and I'd take my hats off to those who have been doing so for years and years...without any complaints. I spent the first three months trying to adjust to the flexible timing (still am, I think).

When I was working, my time has already been preset. So it took a while to adjust to that freedom because there was a time when I abused it and the result wasn't so good. Then I had to adjust myself to having the kids around me 24/7. Oh! They were like a mole in the skin...following me everywhere, except to the loo (Thank God for that!). The greatest challenge is trying to understand their attitudes and for them to understand my 'rules'.


The Cooking & such: I spent most of the day time in the kitchen. Cooking, washing and cleaning...all are done here. Do you know that there are basically THREE stages of cooking?

There's the preparation, then the cooking and then the cleaning up. I'd spend like 2 - 3 hours on this. Not including eating the meals. Most people know about the cooking part, but not the cleaning. And most dislike to do the cleaning anyway...due to the oily stuffs.

The Laundry: At first, I tried to do the laundry like three times a week. But with these kids and the amount of clothes that they wear...couldn't afford to. So I'd do the laundry as and when required i.e. when the baskets are full. Heh.

Basically, washing the dirty clothes would take almost a day and I'd normally do it in the night. The next day, hanging up. The day after next, the picking up. And the day after the day after next, the folding. Sometimes it took me one whole week to complete the cycle. Hehe.

The Cleaning: Then there's the regular vacuuming, mopping and wiping. Vacuum must be done at least twice a week, especially when there's a construction going on in the vicinity. Mopping is done once a month...due to the backpain. Ugghh!! And wiping the furniture is done together with the vacuuming. Sometimes. Heh.

The Other Stuffs: Notwithstanding the fact that I'm also doing 'somethings' online, I'd really have to balance out the timing. But most of the time I got carried away online that I tend to neglect some of the things that I have to do around the house. And I guess I'm still being lucky because my kids aren't in school yet. Otherwise I'd have to be a part-time chauffer as well. And that also DOES NOT inlcude baking or cooking or sewing or painting; like some other homemakers do, to earn some side income.

In summary...being a homemaker is challenging...and tiring too.

So please...next time when someone tells you that they've quit and staying at home to take care of the kids don't just say "Oh, yeah?". Instead, say "Hey! That's great! It's a noble thing to do". Because I'd tell ya...it ain't easy.

But the best part is...we manage our own time.

No comments: