Wednesday 12 November 2014

Self Regulating

Almost every day I'd read news about accidents. Sadly, most of them involved fatalities. Sometimes they were reported as speeding, sometimes because of road conditions, sometimes because of negligence. It was sad, reading those news. Heart wrenching, even, to look at the gruesome photos.

When I was driving around, I think I'd know why accidents happen. Like for example, one car skidded and hit the road barrier. All on its own. How? Why did that not happen to other cars? On rainy days, while driving along the highway, more often than not I'd see a few cars involved in accidents - bumper to bumper. Sometimes on its own. How? Why?

I can also see a lot of motorcyclists speeding, not wearing helmets, go against the red lights, go against the traffic and overtake on left side instead of right. On the highway, I'd see them following closely behind lorries (especially), I think because they wanted to get away from the wind.

To me, most of the accidents occurred because of negligence. Either negligence of the second party or the first party. Of course, nobody 'wanted' to get involved in accidents. But without realising, their behaviours tend to increase the risk of getting into fatal accidents. Speeding caused fatality when involved in accidents. I'm not good at physics, but I would think that when something is moving fast, it would definitely create bigger impact when it hits on something. 

Apart from speed, not wearing helmets could contribute to fatality when involved in accidents because your head is not protected. So would going against the red lights, so on and so forth. Yet when accidents happened, people blame the authorities for not being able to take proper actions or their lack of initiatives to prevent accidents from happening.

I don't deny the fact that our roads can be very dark at night. Then again, if it's dark, we should drive carefully according to the speed limit. Below, not beyond. What I mean to say is....we should be able to self-regulate ourselves. We know the rules and regulations of driving and riding a motor vehicle the moment we took driving classes for the driving license. So everyone who has a valid driving license should already know the rules and regulations. But the trend is, as long as there is no police officer then we can go against the rules.

Picture a four-junction without traffic lights. See how chaotic the traffic can be at peak periods. That's exactly how chaotic the road is if people just simply refused to abide by the rules. The way I look at it, a person of integrity would follow the rules no matter where he/she is. And following the rules might save your live, the lives of your loved ones and the lives of other road users.

I'd say "Self Regulating Starts From Me".

No comments: