Monday 24 November 2014

A Helping Hand

I took my kids for ice skating yesterday. That was the first time for me and them. I thought it was fairly easy, because I used to roller skate, but it wasn't! So I just hang on to the sides and never dared to move to the center. Finally, I stopped and quit. But while I was trying to move along the side, there were people who held out their hands to help me move forward. When I had to go over someone else, hands were offered to help me find my balance and keep moving. I never knew those people.

My daughter, like me, was very scared. She watched others fall down so she became afraid. And she too, hang on to the sides. Then there was a half-hour break when they clean the rink, we had to get out. After the break, my daughter picked up her courage to move to the center. She fell down many times until her clothes were drenched wet. But she had fun.

While I watched the rink from the outside, I saw that whenever someone fell down, there's always someone else to help them get up. Friends and strangers alike helped others when they were in need. Even those who were still new, extended their helping hands to others and sometimes, they fell down together. It was hilarious.


My daughter being assisted

But two great things I learned from that sight:
1. We should never be afraid to fall down. What's most important is, whenever we fall down, we have to get back up.
2. Whenever we fall down, there will always be a helping hand to help us get back up. So we should never be afraid.

So I'll take this learning for my next skating trip. That, I challenge myself. I will also teach my kids about this new learning.

No comments: