Wednesday 28 July 2010

Short Story : Journey Home (Part 1)

It was drizzling when I stepped out from the PWTC onto the streets. 'Twas after 9pm. Since it was a Sunday, there were not many people around. Or perhaps a lot of them were inside, sheltered away from the drizzle. It was wet. The road, I mean.

The walk to the LRT Station wasn't that bad though. Luckily I had my Hush Puppies on...and my jeans..and a long coat. With a backpack, it reminded me of the good ol' days when I was a 'hippie' going around KL on foot. But that night was cold. My nose was getting stuffy. And my lungs were getting tighter.



As I hopped on to the platform, there were a few youngsters loitering around. Waiting for the train, I assumed. A couple was smooching in a corner, like they were in their own world. Surely they couldn't do it at home. That's what I thought. And maybe they're not that well-off to get a room in a hotel somewhere. Or maybe they wanted people to see them like that. Purposely. Or perhaps they just couldn't stand the need any more...Huh? Perhaps.

"03 mins. Tren ke Ampang/Sri Petaling". Suddenly a beep on my handphone indicated someone was messaging me. "Ah...Abang". What a sweet surprise. While responding to the message, the train arrived and I hopped on. Took a while to notice the announcement "Next station, Miharja". "Oh! Shit...I was on the wrong train. This one's going to Ampang". I should've got down at Chan Sow Lin and went on the other platform to Seri Petaling. So I got off at Miharja and went the other side waiting for the train back to Chan Sow Lin.

Miharja was a foreign place to me. It was kind of deserted. Sunday night, nearly 10pm, raining. Perhaps. A call to a friend kept me company. Finally the train arrived and I made sure I was on the right one this time. There was no empty seat. Well, there was one, actually. But the guy sitting next to it acted as if he was in a cafe somewhere, with his laptop fully opened and he was occupying the seat that could've accommodated two people. Selfish. That's what he was.

Fortunately, it was only a station away. I got off and went to the other platform, waiting for the train to Sri Petaling. There were quite a number of people on this platform. But they all looked very solemn. The rain. Perhaps. They looked like roosters on a perch in the rain. All quiet and bundled up. The rain dropped on to the tracks making a soothing sound to the quietness. Reminded me of a Barney song that my kids love so much "Listen to the pitter patter, pitter patter of the rain. Hear it tapping gently tapping, tapping on my window pane". And I wasn't singing out loud...just in my heart. And it made me smile. A warmth...to the cold atmosphere.


Then the train arrived and I managed to get a seat. Not many people going to Sri Petaling at this hour. Perhaps. The guy, sitting in the opposite seat looked like he wasn't enjoying the trip. He sat there with crossed arms...with a frown on his face. The cold. Perhaps. He got a big bundle of bag, carefully wrapped with a water-proof plastic and it read "Nike". But on the other side, two girls, cheerfully talking away amidst the sound of the train and the quietness of the other passengers.

Five stations and finally I arrived at Bukit Jalil station. Surprisingly, a lot of people came out from the same train. And they were all rushing off downstairs. Why the need to rush off? I thought. It's the way of life in KL. Always in the rush-hour mood. Perhaps. And it was raining lightly when I stepped out from the station. Couldn't call it drizzle anymore.

Luckily it was covered pathway to the temporary bus station. And I had my Hush Puppies on....and my jeans...and my long coat. Still, I had to cross the street. Still, I was exposed to the light rain. Still, it was cold. Still, it was wet. The road, I mean.


No comments: