Wednesday 2 June 2010

Parenting. Actually...

This post has got everything to do with the previous one that I just posted. Because when I was a teenager, I hated what my parents did to me. The pressure to study hard, the discipline, the over-protectiveness, the expectations... Yeah, I could still remember all those until today. They would become harder during the important exams' years...SRP (Form 3) and SPM (Form 5).

But 20 years ago I started to understand what parenting is all about...and I began to appreciate what my parents did. The pressure, the discipline, the protectiveness. And since I am a parent myself now, I'd wish I could replicate what they did onto my own children...with the hope that they'd grow up to become someone like me.

Yup, they pressured me to study hard 'cause they wanted me to have good grades. They instilled the discipline on me so that I would value time...'cause there's always time for everything....time for study, time for play, time for TV, time for makan, etc. They were protective of me because they didn't want me to waste my youth on un-necessary things. But they couldn't have put all those things into writings then, because for sure I wouldn't understand a word they said (whether I would chose to understand or not...perhaps).

So what was all that about, actually? They basically taught me how to survive. Survive? Yes...survive.

Because when we were in school, up to when we were in college, our lives are 'protected'. Our objectives then were to study, to pass the exams and gained our certificates. But the true form of life would only be known once we get into the 'working life' or the so-called 'adult' life. That's when we would be tested of our thinking skills, our ability to cope with hell lotta psychos and our capability to withstand the pressure.

So those who doesn't know how to survive...would eventually succumb to the pressures. They'd face failures in their life and not knowing how to resurface. And believe it or not, parenting provides us with the basic amenities that we would need when we grow up. What are those again? Education (that provides us with the ability to think logically)...discipline...withstanding the pressure...And of course, parenting needs to instill love into the souls of every children so that they'd appreciate love when they grow up.

So young-uns...before you'd even start to retaliate to what your parents say...think about this long and hard.


No comments: